Tuesday, May 19, 2009

MFT Hop Around the Block: Fill Your Jar!



Welcome to My Favorite Things' mid-month Hop Around the Block! This month, we're changing the way you gift! If you've arrived here from Christina's blog, you're right on track. If you stopped by on your own, you may want to start at the beginning with Kim. I'd hate for you to miss a single thing!

Tonight, MFT is releasing two fantastic new stamp sets designed for gift-giving, as well as an all-new packaging product - these awesome 16-ounce, squarish, clear plastic jars! Together they make perfect packaging for personalized and economical gift giving! I've filled my jar with office supplies (binder clips, paper clips, rubber bands) and decorated it with the teacher label set. It's all about presentation sometimes, you know? Would I leave the same supplies in their original packaging and call them a teacher gift? Never. But presented this way? You bet! Especially with a gift card tucked inside the matching card.

I pulled out my Making Memories Chloe's Closet assortment of papers and embellishments for this project. This line is so cute to start with, and with its office look (grid paper, ledger paper, ruler-themed twill, etc.), I thought it would work well for a teacher gift. The one downside is that it is a bit girly. I have two more of these to make, but they need to go to male teachers. Well, tonight MFT is also releasing some new, wonderfully gender-neutral, school-themed digital papers that I can't wait to try just as soon as my stinker of a printer starts playing nice again!

A closer look:












Next up is a spa gift item using the new Time For the Bubbly label set:



I found these tubes of bath pearls in the dollar spot at Target this week and discovered that three of them fit perfectly in one of the oodles of clear card boxes I have left over from doing craft shows a few years ago. (This packaging is definitely inspired by the many test-tube-type projects that have been floating around blogland over the past year or so.) I decorated the tubes and the clear box with MFT's luxurious Chocolate Kiss patterned papers and coordinating ribbon assortment, and then added a fancy tag. Three dollars for the bath pearls and a couple more bucks (at most) for the clear box and papercrafting supplies, and you're looking at a total of $5-$7 - can't beat that!

Did you notice the pleated and stapled twill on the teacher card and the ruffly, pleated pink ribbon on the bath pearls tag? I'll show you how to achieve those looks in this week's How They Do That Tutorial. And this week's What's Up Wednesday Challenge is, you guessed it, ribbon pleating. I hope you'll give it a go!

Some detail shots:








That's it for me! Next stop on the hop is the amazing Holly McMillen! Remember, there are goodies at the very end!!




Teacher Gift Supplies:
Stamps: Teacher Label set (My Favorite Things)
Paper: Making Memories "Chloe's Closet" dp, SU Basic Black, Kiwi Kiss, Buckaroo Blue, Papertrey Vintage Cream
Ink: SU Buckaroo Blue and Kiwi Kiss, Versafine Onyx Black
Accessories: MFT clear jar; Chloe's Closet acrylic stickers, ribbons, buttons, flowers, brads; SU mini paper clips, paper piercer and spiral puch; Martha Stewart cornice border punch; Pink Hedgehog Papercrafts burlap string; foam adhesive; paper piercer; distressing tool; staples; office supplies for jar contents


Bath Pearls Gift Supplies:
Stamps: Time for the Bubbly Label set (My Favorite Things)
Paper: MFT Chocolate Kiss dp and Perfect Paper panels; SU Whisper White
Ink: Versafine Onyx Black, Papertrey Dark Chocolate
Accessories: clear box; MFT and Offray ribbon; EK Success fleur-de-lis punch; SU scalloped border punch, scalloped circle punch, flower punches, and Pretties kit; Labels 3 Nestabilities; Michael's floral dept flowers; Kaiser self-adhesive pearls; Prismacolors, Gamsol, and blending stump; foam adhesive

45 comments:

hobbydiva said...

WOW Amy!!! There are beyond fabulous!!!! I ADORE the bath pearls set!!!

StampOwl said...

wonderful projects

Carolyn King said...

Beautiful! LOVE the bath set and the teacher set is amazing--so shabby and fun!!!

Christina Fischer said...

Oh Amy -- I knew you'd have a feast for the eyes!!! These are gorgeous! :)

Kate said...

Great job!

Cindy Haffner said...

Wonderful work!!!!!!!

Michele Boyer said...

Wow! These are both fabulous, Amy! I don't think I could even choose a favorite! But I DO love your ribbon pleating!

carole (TruCarMa) said...

WOWZA! Fantabulous -- both sets! You have outdone yourself, girlfriend! And considering the fact that you're compteting with YOU, that's hard to do!!! Absolutely awesome!

Carolina said...

I simply adore both of your projects! Love the shabby pretty look of your first one and the girly, sweet design of the second one is just perfect!

Kelli Hull said...

Those staples and the loosely stacked ribbon totally caught my eye, I had an A HA moment...I will STILL be checkin you out on the HTDT thread, but WAHOOO!!!! Totally cute!!!!!

Bonnie Lynn said...

Ack!! Looks like I need to find time to head over to the Target $1 spot to look for those bath pearls. I love the ruffled ribbon you put on your cards. It's always very classy.

Dawn Easton said...

Wowzers girl! Amazing as always!

JessicaK said...

The mini blackboard is so cute. And that spa set is gorgeous.

Michelle said...

Absolute perfection. Wonderful gifts that look exquisite for a small price.

Susan (susiestampalot) said...

amy amy amy!! where does your brain get all these fantabulous ideas? it must shop at neiman marcus while my brain goes to walmart!! great great great job, my friend. that chloe's closet was made for YOU!

Melody said...

Everything about your work is amazing. Just love your style. Both your project are wonderful.

Betty J Schaub said...

Hey Amy love your project but it got me to thinking, why does this gift have to be for a teacher? I could use a few of those little jars on my desk top to hold my buttons, clips, brads, flowers, etc. Nice job and thanks for the inspiration!

Joycelyn Pelkey said...

Both of these sets are absolutely AMAZING....GORGEOUS work!!!

Jami said...

These are both amazing girl!!!! I love how you used the ribbons on both of these. The colors of that teacher gift are the best!!!

June Houck said...

These are so amazing!!! The packaging is so much better than the gifts...they will never even want to open them. So pretty..they will display them in their homes for all to enjoy :)

Maryann said...

love the black, white and pink colours.

Tracey said...

These are both incredible!!

Cindy Lawrence said...

Just GORGEOUS, Amy! They have the "Amy" touch...fabulous as always! :)

Danielle said...

Gorgeous projects Amy - love that ribbon pleating so will definitely watch out for that tutorial! Beautiful work!
Hugs, Danielle

Angela said...

Awesome projects,

Denise Marzec said...

Oh WOW, love these! All the ribbon and string accents on the teacher gift are so fun. The bath gift is just AMAZINGLY beautiful...so elegant!!

~Lori Roop said...

What great gifts Amy!!!! I'm in love with the bath pearls set!! It's so lovely!!!

Joyce said...

Really, really cute!

Amy Rohl said...

Oh my word, Amy--these gift ensembles are just fab-U-lous! Get out on the school theme, I'm just shaking my head 'cause it's just THAT GOOD!

Kimberly Crawford said...

well, they are both BEYOND gorgeous!!!!!! AMAZING!!!!!!!!

Lynn said...

Your work is amazing!! WOW is all I can say!

Carrol said...

Amazing. I am so enjoying this blog hop. So many great ideas.

Chris Olsen, Glowbug said...

Wow Amy! Your teacher's gifts and the bath seeds are gorgeous! You are just so amazing!! TFS!
Have a great day!
hugs,
Chris

Allison said...

WOW! THese are amazing. That teacher gift is incredible!

Candice said...

WOW - these are just STUNNING, Amy!! All the details and the colors - wow - just beautiful!!

dpkennedy said...

Awesome gift sets! I have lots of teachers too...I'd better get my butt in gear!

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness, I cannot tell you how much I love the teachers gift/card set! It is just so colorful and loaded with lots to look at! Love, love! The bath pearls set is stunning as well!

Lady Liberty said...

Oh my Amy - that bath set is fabulous and now I have even learned how to pleat the ribbon is so many ways. tfs I love the teacher gift too.
Gloria

Erika M. said...

I really love your project ideas!

Kraftin' Kimmie said...

I'm always in awe of your talent, Amy!! Such wonderful creations!

And thanks for the fabulous tutorial over on SCS for the ribbon pleating. I used it yesterday on a couple of different projects and I know I'll be using it a lot more in the future!!

Angie Z ~ Duckwaddlequack said...

Wowzers Amy these are both just wonderful projects! Just love all the great colors and patterns! :)

Bethany Paull said...

Love your pleated ribbon treatments and those fun teacher themed papers. Great gift giving ideas.

Anonymous said...

great! really great!I love your project! thanks!

ginadcelisatyahoodotcom

Jessie/knightrone said...

Amy, you NEVER cease to amaze me!! I LOVE these!!

Jody Morrow said...

This is SO beautiful! In case you heard a BOOM... it was my jaw hitting the floor. OMG this is SO pretty!